Thursday 31 May 2012

Sketch To Stretch

Due: May 22, 2012 (Class 5)

"These engagements help language users realize that we can create meaning in many sign systems.  By taking what we know in one sign system and recasting it in terms of another system--language, art, movement, mathematics, music, and so forth--- new signs and new forms of expression are created, and new knowledge generated.  This process of recasting is called 'transmediation' and is a fundamental process of what it means to be literate." [Harste, 1996]


"An Authoring Cycle Model of Learning" From Creating Curriculum by Burke and Short












































































 I chose to do my "Sketch to Stretch" from the article "The Author's Cycle" on the section of 'collaborative others.'  While I was reading this section I felt that I could relate to it.  I felt that I would love to adapt my teaching style towards collaboration.  The section talked about collaboration through the means of "literature circles, author circles, mathematical circles, and paired books."
      I have seen literature circles and taken part in them in a grade three classroom.  I felt that literature circles worked very well in this type of setting and there were great extension activities for students to do with books that they have individually chosen or selected by the teachers.  Students are then put into groups in which they discuss their individual roles and activities they did.  I like this type of collaboration because it gives the students the opportunity to share and discuss their work and learn from one another.  It gives students more freedom and less instructional time from the teachers.
      Author's circles are where students get together to review written works that they have created independently.  They then get together, peer review and collaborate.  In mathematical circles students try to solve problems on their own then they get into a group and collaborate with their reponses and help one another come to a conclusion.  Paired books is where two students get together with a reading selection they have read.  They then tell one another about their stories and make comparisons between their books.
    In my poster I drew myself with four thought bubbles coming from my head with each collaboration strategy demonstrated.  It is mean't to symbolize myself thinking about the strategies in depth and how I could make collaboration a bigger part of my teaching strategies and practices in my own classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment